Friday, July 8, 2011

Back to Africa #5-- Overload...

I don't know if I hate not having internet to keep updated more because I'm spoiled with what I have at home, or that I'm overloaded with things going through my mind when I finally get a chance to get access to post.  Probably some of both...
Overload, is my word for the last 2 days here in Jinja, Uganda.
Yesterday Tom and I were picked up at our hotel in Entebbe, Uganda by AOET (African Orphan Education Trust).  We had an enjoyable 3 hour ride with James, the Uganda Director, to the Sunset International Hotel in Jinja, Uganda at the north end of Lake Victoria.  After a few minutes to get settled and freshened up, we were off to a remote district to witness a mobile clinic in a rural village.  I received a new education in AIDS/HIV testing, as well as life in the rural villages with AIDS.  
One thing I learned from my limited time in the villages around Iringa, Tanzania was that the nurses at the village clinics we visited in 2009 were getting low single digit percentages of men being tested compared to the women in the villages.  AOET has as much as 25% men being tested at their remote clinics.  That is not to say it’s a competition, just an observation of reality.  More men are getting tested.  This is good change that everyone in the clinics hopes continues.
Today we began with a meeting with the Leadership Team of AOET Uganda.  What an amazing group of people, committed to the children that AOET serves every day.  From there we had a meeting with the almost 300 students of the High School, and a tour of the village they have built for families that have taken in orphans; more amazing people.
From there we visited the AOET primary school.  We visited each of the classrooms and met the teachers.  After the tour we were treated to a full show of entertainment of Ugandan traditional favorites, as well as original poetry/songs by the students.  Or me, it was right up there with Phantom of the Opera that Tom and I got to see in London last week.  After the show we shared a special luncheon feast with the teachers and students.
From there we went to the AOET medical clinic.  The people who work/serve mostly serve at the clinic do so much with so little.
After a long day we only had to wait for about an hour for our dinner to come.  The upside still amazed me as we watched the sun set across the Nile River.  Very Surreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment